- 4 - 6 People
- 225g demerara sugar
- 25g Butter
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 110ml water
- 0.5 tsp vinegar
- 6 dessert apples
- 6 wooden skewers, for holding the apples – lollypop sticks will do
- Dissolve the sugar in the water over a moderate heat.
- When it has dissolved, stir in the vinegar, syrup and butter.
- Bring to a boil and cook without stirring until it reaches hard-crack stage (138C) or hardens into a ball when dropped in a jug of cold water. This should take around 10 minutes boiling time.
- While the syrup is cooking, pierce each apple with a wooden stick.
- Once the toffee is ready, dip each apple into the hot toffee, turning it around in the syrup so that each one is fully coated.
- Leave to harden on a lightly oiled tray before serving.
If you're planning to keep them for a day or two, wrap the apples in cellophane.