- 4 - 6 People
650g strong white flour
1 teaspoon Natural Oriel Sea Salt
1 tablespoon sugar
14g pack fast acting yeast (2 x 7 g packs)
3 tablespoon olive oil
350-400ml lukewarm water
Wild Garlic Salt (see below to make from scratch yourself)
1 egg, whisked
1 tsp Oriel Smoked Sea Salt
About 10 Wild Garlic Leaves, 6 sliced,
Share this fabulous Wild Garlic Bread with Wild Garlic Flavoured Oriel Smoked Sea Salt amongst friends or family and get your taste buds flowing! This recipe from Tara Walker at The East Coast Cookery School in Louth makes the most of fresh seasonal garlic leaves with fabulous smoked sea salt that is sure to impress.
- Put the flour and salt into a large bowl, add the sugar, salt and yeast, keeping the yeast away from the salt.
- Make a well in the centre, add the oil and water.
- Gradually work into the flour to make a soft dough.
- Sprinkle over a little flour if the mixture feels too sticky, but make sure it is not too dry- the dough should be pliable and smooth.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface, knead for 10 minutes (sprinkling a little flour on when needed) until the dough is smooth and stretchy (soft but elastic).
- Cover with cling film and let rise in warm spot until doubled in volume, about 1 to 1½ hours.
- Sprinkle the 6 sliced leaves of wild garlic into the dough and ensure they are buried in.
- Pull pieces of the dough off and shape into balls by rolling between your hands.
- Place the balls of dough into a round cake tin in a circle, placing one in the middle( I found a spring release 9” or 23 cm tin useful to do this) and leave for another 10-15mins to allow to rise.
- Preheat the oven to 220˚ C / 200˚c Fan / Gas 6.
- Brush a little egg on top of each roll and some of the wild garlic flavoured salt*.
- Bake for 15-20 mins or until they are golden brown.
- To make the Wild Garlic Salt, dry out the leaves by placing in an oven at 100˚C for 2 hours.
- Combine with 1 tsp of Smoked Teelings Oriel Sea Salt in a pestle and mortar.
* Note: To make the Wild Garlic Salt, dry out the leaves by placing in an oven at 100˚C for 2 hours. Combine with tsp of Smoked Teelings Oriel Sea Salt in a pestle and mortar.