- 4 - 6 People
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 piece of ginger, peeled & grated
½ red chilli, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, peeled & crushed into paste
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
150g red lentils
1 litre chicken / vegetable stock
Small bunch of fresh coriander
To Serve: Some natural Irish yoghurt and some freshly chopped coriander.
Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- In a small frying pan, toast the cumin and coriander seeds until lightly golden.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Pour olive oil into a saucepan and sweat the onions until translucent and softened.
- Season with sea salt & freshly ground black pepper.
- Stir in the ginger and chilli and cook for 2mins.
- Stir in the garlic, cumin & coriander seeds and cook for another 2mins.
- Add in lentils and stir well.
- Chop the stalks of the coriander and add to saucepan with the stock.
- Simmer for approximately 10mins, or until lentils are tender.
- Blend in a liquidiser until smooth. Add the juice of ½ lime and check seasoning.
Serve: Piping hot, with a dollop of natural Irish yoghurt and some freshly chopped Coriander to garnish.