- 4 - 6 People
150g nettle leaves
30-35g Cuinneog Country Butter
1 onion, peeled chopped
1 large Leek, trimmed, washed and finely sliced
2 celery sticks, chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp basmati rice
1 litre vegetable (or chicken) stock
OHCo Atlantic Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
6 generous tbsp Gelinilen natural yogurt
1 small bunch chives or parsley, to finish
Nettle soup is one of those things that very few of us actually go to the bother of making, which is silly given that we're surrounded by the seasonal plant. This is a truly nourishing nettle soup that is sure to bolster you up for the last bout of cold weather this year.
- Wash the nettles leaves thoroughly.
- Melt the Cuinneog Butter in a large pan over medium-low heat, add the onion, leek, celery and garlic, cover and sweat gently for 10 minutes, stirring a few times, until soft but not brown.
- Add the white rice and stock, bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the nettles, stirring them into the stock as they wilt, and simmer for five minutes or so, until the rice and the nettles are soft.
- Blend the soup in two batches, reheat if necessary and season as desired.
- Pre heat the serving bowls, place a generous spoon of Glenilen yogurt on each portion.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of chives or parsley.
Then sit back and enjoy spoon after spoon of a nourishing nettle soup recipe.