• Peel the pumpkin and cut into a large dice, season with salt and pepper and roast in a preheated oven (180c) until tender.
• Peel and slice the onions and sweat in a pot with a little oil and butter, add in the garlic, bay leaf and thyme. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Cook until soft and without colour.
• Remove the pumpkin from the oven and add it to the onions, add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Remove the thyme stalks and bay leaf.
• Blend the soup in a blender until smooth, adding the remaining stock if necessary.
• For a finer finish pour the soup through a fine sieve and check the seasoning.
• Chill down and pour into suitable containers, label and freeze.
*Tip from the Butler: For a finer finish, pour the soup through a fine sieve.