- 2 - 4 People
- 400g grated potato
- 40g sunflower oil
- 60g plain flour
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 bunch of spring onion tops and bottoms, finely chopped
- Oil for frying
For the Sauce
- 50ml mirin (sweet Japanese rice wine used in cooking)
- 300ml coconut milk
- 150g tender stem broccoli
- Firstly, grate the potato. Add the salt and lemon and give the mixture a good squeeze. Some liquid will escape. Do not discard as this starchy liquid will help to bind all the other ingredients. Add the flour, oil, spring onion bottoms and seasoning.
- Shape the mixture into patties; you should get about 6 from this quantity. Heat some oil in a large frying pan or skillet. When it’s sizzling, lower the heat to medium and add the patties. Fry the boxty for about 5 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Heat the mirin in a small saucepan. Allow it to reduce for a minute before adding the coconut milk. Reduce for a further 5 minutes before adding the spring onion tops. Blend to a velvety sauce. While this is happening, blanch the broccoli in some salted boiling water for no more than 2 minutes.
- Flood each plate with a ladle of sauce and top with two of the boxty and a third of the broccoli.