Lobster Thermidor Tavern Style
- 1 700g whole lobster
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 tblsp brandy
- 1 tblsp dry white wine
- 1 tsp light Dijon mustard
- 1 knob of butter
- 100ml fresh cream
- 100ml lobster cooking liquid or fish stock
- 2 sprigs of parsley
- 10g fresh bread crumbs
- 20g fresh parmesan grated
- 80g of rice to serve on
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the lobster for about 8 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Remove the claws and split the lobster from head to tail. Remove all meat from claws & body and set aside. Take care to keep the shells intact.
- Gently sauté the shallots in a little butter. Add the lobster shells, stock and white wine. Cook until it has reduced by half. Then remove the half shells and set them on a grill tray.
Add the brandy to the pan and flame off the alcohol. Stir in the cream and mustard. Add the lobster meat and most of the Parmesan cheese to the sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
Chop parsley then mix it with bread crumbs and remaining parmesan cheese.
Cook the rice.
Heat the shells under a grill. Divide the rice between two warmed plates and place a half lobster shell on each mound of rice.
Carefully spoon the sauce into the half shells. Sprinkle the crumb mixture on top. Pop under the grill to gratinate and serve immediately.