- 2 - 4 People
1 Medium Onion
2 sticks of Celery
200gr Peeled, Diced Potato
500gr of Smoked Haddock
1kg of Mussels
1 glass of White Wine
½ ltr Cream
½ ltr Full Fat Milk
1 pinch of Saffron Strands (optional)
- Cut the carrot, celery & onion into small even dice.
- Wash & pull the beards on the mussels before steaming in a large pot with white wine.
- When the mussels are cooked, filter the resulting mussel juice & reserve the cooked mussels.
- The mussel juice will be used like a stock in the chowder.
- Meanwhile cook the diced vegetables gently in 1 tablespoon of Butter.
- Make a Beurre Manie by mixing the remaining soft butter & flour.
- Boil the cream, milk, mussel juice & diluted saffron, when boiling whisk in the Beurre Manie and bring back to a simmer stirring continuously.
- When the mirepoix is cooked (5 mins) add the diced smoked haddock, followed by the thickened cream/mussel stock & the cooked mussels (out of the shell)
- Bring the soup back to a simmer, check seasoning & serve in bowls with crusty or wholemeal bread.