- A Party
June's full moon, also known as a "Strawberry Moon" took place last week (June 20) and to celebrate Granny Griffin of the Garden Restaurant & Café at Griffins has shared her recipe for Ireland's Best Scone
Makes 15-18 Award Winning scones
Turn on oven to 180 degrees celsius (fan oven). Always make sure it is hot before you start
- 2 lbs of Odlums Self Raising Flour
- 2 level teaspoons of baking powder
- 8 oz of Cold unsalted butter
- 2 of Granny Griffin handfuls of Shamrock Quality Sultanas.
- 2 free range eggs (do not mix the eggs)
- Fresh Milk from the fridge
- Butter Milk at room temperature
- A teacup of Siucra Caster Sugar (150-180g) adjust to taste.
- Mix all dry ingredients and Cubes of butter with your cool hands
- Add in 2 whole eggs (not whisked) and an even mix of whole milk and Butter milk. The amount of milk will vary but Granny Griffin always aims for quite a wet mixture .
- Mix all the dry ingredient well first and then add cubes of butter. You need to do this with very cold hands. As they say cold hands .... Warm heart.
- Dont over work these ingredients. Then out with a fork and mix in the eggs and milk mixture to a nice wet consistency.
- Cool your hands with water again and knead the mixture. Handle the dough with love, Never ever over work it.
- Roll out the mixture on a cool table to a thickness of an inch high.
- Cut with a cool scone cutter. never twist the scone cutter. Try to cut straight down.
- Glaze scone with an egg. Top and sides. This will help your scones stand proud.
- Put scones into your warm oven as quickly as possible.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes. Every oven is different
- Serve with Homemade jam and Freshly whipped cream.
For a Seasonal strawberry scone replace the sultanas with the best strawberries available. Rosscarberry Strawberries are given the seal of approval From Granny Griffin
Granny Griffins Secrets from her treasured recipe book
- Always keep your eggs at room temperature. Never in a fridge and not in a very warm place in your kitchen
- Have all your ingredients as cool as possible.
- Always bake your scones with love and quality ingredients.