- 2 - 4 People
- 1 tbsp. rapeseed oil
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds, cracked
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Knob of ginger, finely chopped
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. turmeric
- ½ tsp. ground chilli powder
- 2 butternut squash, peeled and diced (approx. 2cm squares)
- 1 courgette, diced
- 100ml water
- 200g cooked chickpeas
- Selection of green vegetables such as broccoli, bok choi or chard
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the cumin and cracked coriander seeds. Add the garlic and brown lightly.
- Follow with the onion and ginger and cook slowly until the onions have softened then add the salt.
- Add the turmeric and ground chilli. Add the butternut squash and the courgette, and then add the water. Cook this until the squash and courgette have softened.
- Now add in the chickpeas, the green vegetables and the tomatoes.
- Add the fresh coriander, stir through and adjust the seasoning.
- To cook dried chickpeas (weigh out half of the final weight you will need)
- Soak the chickpeas for at least 3 hours but preferably overnight with ½ tsp. bicarb/bread soda. Drain the chickpeas and place them in a pot with plenty of water and 1 tsp. bicarb/bread soda.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes then check to see if the chickpeas are cooked, they should still have a small bite to them.
- Leave them for longer if they are not cooked. Drain the chickpeas and they are ready for use.