- 4 - 6 People
Garlic 1 clove
Thyme 1 bunch
Red wine 1 glass
Diced beef 1.2 kg
Tomato purée 1 tbsp.
Beef stock 800ml
Pearl onions 100g
Bacon 5 slices
Button Mushrooms 280g
Parsley 1 bunch
- In a large bowl mix the diced beef and flour together.
- Heat a little olive oil in a large pot and in small batches brown the diced beef and remove each time.
- Add the diced onion, garlic, bay leaf and thyme into the pot and cook until golden in colour.
- Add in the tomato purée and cook for a couple of minutes. Then add the red wine and stir around to dislodge anything stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the beef back in along with the beef stock and bring to the boil, turn the heat down to a simmer, cover with a lid cook slowly for 2 ½-3 hours.
- Meanwhile, peel the carrots and pearl onions, toss in a little oil and seasoning and roast in a preheated oven at 200c/fan 180c/ gas mark 6 until tender, approx. 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cut the carrots into bite size pieces. Leave the onions whole. Set aside until ready to finish the bourguignon.
- Slice the bacon into pieces and pan fry in a large pan, remove once cooked. Add in the button mushrooms and, when nicely coloured, deglaze the pan with a little water to add to the bourguignon for flavour.
- Once the beef is tender add in the carrots, onions, bacon and mushrooms. Check the sauce for seasoning and finish with chopped parsley.
Top Tip from Niall, Director of Food at The Butler's Pantry: