Pudding with a touch of Indian spices to warm up your chilly winter nights
· 6 cups of milk
· 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
· 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
· 1/4 cup flour
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1/2 cup molasses
· 3 eggs, beaten
· 1/3 cup of granulated sugar
· 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
· 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
· 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
· 1 cup golden raisins (optional)
· Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Place cornmeal in a large saucepan. Slowly whisk in half the milk, making sure there are no lumps.
3. Whisk in the remaining milk, molasses, maple syrup, egg, butter, spices and baking soda. Place the saucepan over medium high heat, stirring constantly, taking care to reach the corners of the pan and bring the mixture to a simmer.
4. When the mixture is boiling softly, continue to cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds more. Pour into a greased 8×8 inch baking dish. Bake until pudding bubbles around the edges and the surface becomes a darker brown, about 1 1/2 hours. Serve warm.