A classic dessert for the freezer that can be adapted to suit the season. Simply use whatever fruit is available at that time of year. In this case, we used plums, apples and blackberries but peaches and apricots would work well in the summer.
1 vanilla pod
2 punnets blackberries
For the crumble topping:
100g ground almonds
100g plain flour
· Cut plums into quarters and remove the stone.
· Cut the apples into eighths.
· Heat a large frying pan and add the butter and vanilla pod, when the butter starts to foam add in the fruit and sugar. Toss in the pan and cook for a couple of minutes. Transfer to a suitable baking dish.
· For the topping mix all the ingredients together until it becomes a crumb.
· Sprinkle on top of your fruit and bake in a preheated oven at 170c / gas mark 3 until golden brown.
· If freezing cover and place into the freezer without baking. Remove the night before and place in the fridge to defrost fully before baking in the oven.
· Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.