Coeliac Awareness Week May 8th – 15th
A range of events will take place nationwide to mark the week, including:
- The launch of an online self-assessment tool helping people to determine if they could be coeliac.
- The launch of a new initiative calling on supermarkets to commit to stocking eight gluten free staples in store. SuperValu is the first to sign up to the initiative, and the Coeliac Society of Ireland will be calling on other supermarkets nationwide to join them.
- Working with General Practitioners and Pharmacists to raise awareness of the symptoms of coeliac disease.
- A series of in-store events at SuperValu stores.
GOOD FOOD IRELAND CELEBRATING COELIAC AWARENESS WEEK
Throughout the year, the following Good Food Ireland members are committed to producing a deliciously tasty coeliac friendly food experience. Join in their celebrations for #CoeliacAwarenessWeek.
Being coeliac aware has been at the heart of the ely ethos since its conception over 15 years ago. Director, Michelle Robson a coeliac herself, has always been very forward thinking with regards to ely’s menu offerings.
At this contemporary wine and food venue, the vast majority of dishes are gluten free or coeliac adaptable. Marry this philosophy with an understanding that a coeliac diet can often be challenging, especially when you want to go out to lunch with the work crowd or enjoy a night out on the town. That’s why the ely team go to great lengths to ensure they will never let the coeliac down! In honour of #CoeliacAwarenessWeek, ely are are delighted to announce a new menu bursting with seasonal gluten free options.
Below is a snippet of what you can expect on ely’s menus for #Coeliac Awareness Week and throughout summer. We think you’ll agree that even non-coeliacs will be tempted by these fantastic dishes!
- Pan seared Kilkeel scallops, black pudding, crisp organic Burren bacon and parsnip puree
- Crab tian, pickled egg and herring roe
- Organic Burren bacon loin, red cabbage, new potatoes, high bank apples and pork jus
- Organic Burren beef tartar, braised beets, horseradish and beetroot powder
- Chocolate and peanut mousse, peanut brittle and salted caramel
- Strawberry and lemon verbena pana cotta, poached rhubarb and white chocolate
Deirdre McCafferty’s lovely vegetarian, vegan and raw food restaurant in Wicklow Street, central Dublin, caters for coeliacs with a vast range of gluten free dishes on the menu, not just during #CoeliacAwarenessWeek, but every day. Deirdre’s ethos has always been to produce good healthy tasty food from fresh natural ingredients, whatever a person’s dietary requirements. Her chefs also understand the difficulties of being coeliac and seek to create specific gluten free dishes that are just as tasty, if not more tasty than regular cooking.
Alongside the wonderful array of healthy energising main courses, gluten free baking and desserts are a particular speciality at Cornucopia. Because, as Deirdre says, everyone loves to try something nice that they probably wouldn’t eat at home. How right she is. We all love a little treat now and again!
Coeliacs are just like everyone else when it comes to having the right to enjoy extremely tasty baked goods, courtesy of Siobhan Lawless of The Foods of Athenry bakery in Co. Galway.
This lady’s baking talents include traditional baking and a wealth of goodies for gluten free, dairy free, wheat free and sugar free diets too.
For #CoeliacAwarenessWeek, Siobhan is taking the opportunity to raise awareness of the disease and celebrate great gluten free food. From now till the 15th of May, Foods of Athenry are offering a generous 20% off all products including gluten free crackers, toasts, cookies and more in their online shop on the website. Simply enter the code GFGOODNESS at the checkout to apply the savings.
You’ll also find details of a fantastic opportunity to win a Foods of Athenry Hamper in a competition being run with the Coeliac Society of Ireland. The hamper is packed with over €45.00 worth of Foods of Athenry goodies including cookie shots, flapjack snack packs and premium breakfast granolas.
Instagram lovers can follow Foods of Athenry for a chance to win a prize every day during #CoeliacAwarenessWeek. The full range of Foods of Athenry gluten free products will also be among other gluten free goodies on sale during the week at the Gluten Free and Coeliac Friendly Pop Up Shop Unglu-d on South William Street , Dublin. All proceeds raised from these sales will be donated to the Coeliac Society of Ireland.